Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Father's Son


Thoughts of my father are mixed.
Growing up with a single parent was tough.
Especially when that single parent is a man.
A few bitter ones, but mainly fond thoughts.
Because I am my father’s son.

Bitter memories of the choices you made dad
But as I grew up and became a man
I found out they were corrective measures
to my lack of good judgement.
Because I am my father’s son.

I picked up a few habits
And trust me, all of the bad ones too.
Surprising how easy it is to pick up after older ones
What else can I say……
Well, I am my father’s son.

I realise today that I didn’t get the expensive toys I asked for
So I could be like my peers.
But that was so I could eat 3 square meals and have a better education.
The sacrifices you made, but my young mind, too selfish to understand.
But then………..
I am my father’s son.

I look at you now and smile
Because I know I contributed to your strong hands
From the all too frequent slaps and smacks I got for stepping out of line.
As my father’s son.

Look at me now dad.
I’m a better man today because of you.
Thanks for all the love, perseverance and understanding.
Thanks for all the sacrifices you made because of me.
For I am my father’s son.

This is just a note to let you know
I have never said it to you though
I could never have asked for a better father
And I appreciate you so.

I love you dad
I always have and always will
Because of you I am proud to say
I AM MY FATHER’S SON.

Happy Father’s Day

                                                                                                                Written by
                                                                                                                Tony Obijeih

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome

Translate