Friday, August 22, 2014

Hazard: Perfect 10



Eden Hazard has some good news for Chelsea supporters. Your reigning Player of the Year may have a new number on his shirt this season after switching from 17 to 10 – but he still intends to light up Stamford Bridge in the coming campaign.

The Belgian was back in action for the Blues on Monday night as we travelled to Burnley, playing 83 minutes of our 3-1 win at Turf Moor, and showed flashes of the brilliance which so captivated Chelsea fans last time around.
‘It is true that 10 is the best number in football – this is normal, it's for the playmaker,’ says the Belgian with a broad grin on his face. ‘But nothing has changed for me. I'll play exactly the same way and in the same roles as I did when I had 17 on my back. I'll try to give fans the same feelings as I always do.
‘The number change is not really that important, I just like it because Zinedine Zidane was my hero and I want to wear the same number he did for France. I remember watching on television when he scored twice in the 1998 World Cup final.’
Sixteen years on and Hazard himself was competing at a World Cup, helping Belgium to reach the quarter-finals in their first appearance since 2002. 
The tournament was, of course, won by Germany and Hazard revealed his pride at club-mate Andre Schurrle lifting the trophy in Brazil.
‘It was a great tournament for him personally, and we’ll all be very happy if he can keep that form up while playing for Chelsea,’ added the 23-year-old. ‘He showed me his winners' medal in the dressing room last week - he’s been walking around the training ground with it on all the time… no, no, I’m joking!’
The Germans may have taken that prize but Hazard has been no stranger to silverware in his career, winning a major individual honour at the end of five of his six full campaigns as a professional footballer. 
As well as taking home Chelsea's Player of the Year award last term, he was named PFA Young Player of the Year, having previously been named the best player in France’s Ligue 1. Does he have his eyes set on the senior PFA award this season?
‘I hope! If I can be the best, okay, that would be a real pleasure, but my concentration on the pitch is towards Chelsea winning trophies – that's the main thing. If I play well then I can contribute to that.’
Regardless of the number he is wearing, it seems Hazard is set to dazzle once more. Chelsea have been tipped by the experts to do well this season, and the Belgian is sure to be central to any success. It promises to be an exciting few months.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome

Translate