Sunday, May 10, 2015

Nigerian Fuel Attendants or Fuel Extortionists?

Image result for fuel attendants in lagos






I've been holding this back for too long, but yesterday I got served the proverbial 'straw that broke the camels back'. 

With the deplorable state of fuel availability in Nigeria right now, I buy fuel into car and one 25L jerrycan once a week, thank God for the invention of inverters. I mean... WTF? Pardon my Hindi. 

I was in a Mobil fuel station yesterday from 2pm to a little over 8.30pm...
Yes, oooo!!! Not exaggerating.

For the sake of clarity, I was the 7th car in line to the tank I parked in front of, when I got there. Please, what's going on here? 

The attendant sold to only jerrycans for over 2 hours. I have no problem with selling to jerrycans... Reminding myself that I also had one in the car booth. But at the expense of other paying customers... focusing on car owners/drivers.... WHY????????

Fast forward a few hours....

Impatience set in, I strolled towards the pump to find out whats going on.... I heard the most shocking thing to ever come out of a fuel attendants mouth! 

"Oga, I dey collect N1k/car before you buy fuel and N3,500/25L or 30L jerrycan. You go pay or move forward make car line move small?"

Involuntarily, I exclaimed "CHEI!!!" 

CALCULATING..... 
25L, when filled to the brim is about 27L/28L. Multiply by N87/L is abut N2,400.
30L, when filled to the brim is about 30.5L/31L. Multiply by N87/L is abut N2,700.

Abeg, how e take add up to N3,500? 

Better question would be how much do they make "by the side" from extorting already suffering Nigerians each day? 

The fuel station management cannot feign ignorance here because they have family and friends who would have reported to them.

Shamefully, this has become common practice in all fuel filling stations in Lagos. Don't know about the rest of the country. 

How do we move forward? Kindly share your experiences here with scam-dalous. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome

Translate